March 15, 2011

New-Age Pets Have Rights

Image: Parrot-BUGDOG
http://www.sxc.hu/profile/bugdog
I WAS on the lanai of my condo unit at late afternoon yesterday when I heard the sounds of a bird that sounded like a macaw. I've never seen the bird but it wasn’t the first time I've heard it. That macaw, or whatever bird it is and whoever it belongs to, sure can talk and it has been the cause of several complaints.

The residents aren't happy that the management has not taken action against residents who keep pets in their condo units. That goes for cats and dogs and whatever else have you. But is this ruling really practical in this time and age based on today's cost of living?

With the exorbitant price of landed properties many city dwellers are turning to hi-rise living. And although we understand this "no pets allowed" ruling practised in hi-rise dwellings (apartments and condominiums) it is not necessarily a practical thing.

Hey, I have a right to be here!

Image: Guinea Pig-ISTALRI
http://www.sxc.hu/profile/Istalri
Although we hear, see and read many animal abuse cases there are still a big number of people who are animal lovers. And being animal lovers we can't help having a pet or two in our midst.

I know many friends who live in hi-rise buildings keep pets, mainly cats and dogs. But due to this ruling, many hide their pets, away from nosy neighbours who might report them to the building management.

Is it fair that these owners have to resort to "lying" for the sake of their pets' safety or risk the possibility of their pets being "removed"? A colleague at work asked me this question once: What do you think of the "no pets allowed" ruling for hi-rise dwellers?

Hey man, buzz off! I'm having a lazy day today.

Image: Shar pei-FRENCENZ
http://www.sxc.hu/profile/frencenz
My answer is it isn't fair and the ruling needs to be scrapped. If a ruling is to be introduced and enforced then it has to come with a lot of commonsense and practicality as well. There is no point in having a system if the system works only for some and not everybody.

I will not discourage residents from complaining if something is amiss, such as a dog that barks incessantly throughout the day and sometimes at nights (but babies do that as well), the sound of a pet bird suddenly breaking the peaceful silence mid-day (rowdy youngsters having fun at the swimming pools are known to do that often), the constant meowing of Tom cats during the mating season (I know men who are pissed drunk make twice that noise)...and the list goes on.

I'd love to taste a city life than just eatin' grass.

Image: Rabbit 1-HOTTABOX
http://www.sxc.hu/profile/hottabox

Someone used to glare at me whenever I said this. She asked me if I understand the concept of condo-living. Oh yes I do because I have been a hi-rise dweller for more than 15 years now.

Although I have never kept any pets in my condo unit I do know that if I were to then I would want to have the freedom to be seen with my pets at any time and anywhere within the premises. And I believe that the worse condo dwellers are the residents, not the pets.

Let’s face it. A majority of hi-rise dwellers are so uncivilised they don’t even know how to keep clean. Ever seen a soiled sanitary pad on your balcony? Well, that came from someone’s toilet upstairs and I sure know it’s not some pets throwing them out the window.

Here, read my mind!

Image: A Cat 3 - OLKAPRILL
http://www.sxc.hu/profile/olkaprill
How about cigarette and cigar butts? You think someone’s pet birds, dogs, cats, rabbits or iguana smoke?

We should not take the “no pets allowed” ruling in hi-rise dwellings so literally because at the end of the day it’s about how the owners take care of their pets. Do you know that I once had a beautiful Tom cat I raised since he was three-days old who did his business in the toilet bowl? In fact he is smarter at using the toilet bowl than any human can.

Pets RULE!!!

Image: Molly-JEFF DUTTON
http://www.sxc.hu/profile/jeffdutton
So to all you pet-less people, complain if you must but please do so because the animal is being abused by the owners, or because the animal is a rare specie that shouldn't be turned into a household pet, or if animal owners allow their pets to drop their poop indiscriminately and you're afraid to ruin your expensive shoes, or that their cats or dogs pee on your car tyres, or that their dogs smother your kids with their wet tongues. Other than these, please leave the pets alone.

And pet owners it may be good for you to know that a well-trained pet wins the adoration of many. And that a well-trained, well-loved pet can be more civilised than humans.

But as far as I’m concerned, I’d rather listen to the macaws than an annoying neighbour shouting murder to their kids over the slightest thing. And believe me. If you are a seasoned hi-rise dweller like me you will know why I appreciate the animals rather than the humans.

No comments:

Post a Comment