April 7, 2011

Switch To Recyclable Batteries

THE content of this post was actually written on the second day of April but I forgot about having written it until I found it tonight stored in my stock pile.

On the night I wrote it I was actually searching for some Triple A batteries so I could play some interviews I just did. I didn't have any Triple As and that was when I remembered about this battery charger I got as a door gift from an Energizer event.

The event took place more than a month ago and since then the battery charger has been dumped into my black "CABLE" bag that hung on the left side of my office chair.

This is the mini battery charger. See how neat the USB cable is coil round in its own slot?
Yes, I am guilty of using a lot of alkaline batteries in my life - for my camera's flashlight, my torchlights, my recorders. You name a gadget and I will have a reason for using alkaline batteries.

At the end of every month you can see loads of "dead" batteries chucked into paper bags to be sent for recycling. So I hope you believe me when I say my guilt runs deep.

I know I should have used rechargeable batteries but I've had conflicting opinions about the use. Some say using rechargeable batteries for the cameras for example can damage parts. Some say not.

Besides, I got put off using rechargeable because two sets of the rechargeable batteries (plus the chargers of course) I bought only lasted less than a year. I'm not sure if it's the brand but they sure aren't cheap. So I thought if I'm gonna spend that much money I want to know it's for something worthwhile.

Call me stupid but this is new to me - battery chargers that use a USB port :).
Now, this battery charger I got as a door gift charges using a USB port. And that makes this charger handy as you can now charge your batteries anywhere without hvaing to look for an electrical point.

Okay, I have a feeling a lot of people are grinning when I describe this charger. I don't think this is a new technology. There must be other battery chargers that work this way as well. But still, I'm fascinated because I'm daft when it comes to stuff like this. And so I find it a real cool idea.

Where my finger is pointing is the "extension plate".

The other great thing about this charger is that you can charge two types of battery sizes - an AA and a triple A (AAA). All you do when you want to recharge the AA batteries is to flip this tiny piece of "extension plate" (don't ask me what's the exact name 'cos for the life of me I don 't know) to fit either sizes.

Cool? I think it is, even if I found out very, very late.

I will soon get the much-needed rechargeable batteries. They are more cost-effective anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment