May 27, 2012

Back to Crazy

M. Ismail is one of NewsFlashMedia’s team members. She has been living in London since October 2011 and is now finally home in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

I’M finally home, after six months of being away from crazy KL.

But it wasn’t the greatest feeling to step into the house to find everything broken, just dead and have stopped functioning – the fridge, the lights in my bedroom and the living room, the water heater in the guest toilet, the Jacuzzi in my bathroom, the Internet is down because the modem’s broken and the locks on the windows in the kitchen have also given way, which is a big security concern.

I feel like a dragon with a broken tail after seeing the condition of my house.
Alligator With A Broken Tail by Kelly

On top of all these, the garden looks like a mini jungle. While the lovely huge creepers are rich in fresh blooms, the smaller ones are fighting for survival. Some have even died. The cacti are doing okay but the banana palms have succumbed to the heat. I have to tip toe on the small landing that divides the lanai and the garden because most the wood-boards have decayed, thanks to heavy rain. I’ve lost my footing there twice and I’m lucky I have not broken my ankle. That needs immediate fixing but what isn’t and where do I start? 

The wood-boards have decayed.
So out came the huge book of To Do List.

First I need to call the fridge technician. And I did only to hear the word ‘sorry’ coming from the other end of the telephone line. The brand of the fridge I bought has been taken over by some other company, which no one seems to know anything about. And so the mad search for clues to locate that almost non-existing number begins. Okay, if I managed to get hold of the technician tomorrow (and that’s a BIG if) there is still no guarantee I will see even the tip of the technician’s nose in the next two days. So here am I gathering all my hope in a prayer.

I often hear the saying “it’s as if time stood still”. Mine is at the moment. In fact, it appears to be completely frozen.
Feels like a dark, grey storm just burst above my head.
Cartoon Character by Ben http://www.clker.com/profile-90718.html

Several other phone calls followed – the electrician who said he will be at my place the next Monday, the vacuum cleaner companies who said I have to come personally to their office to place an order and return again on another day when the stock arrives, and the sales person at the local DIY store who said the locks I want can be bought ONLY from the hardware store (I wonder what DIY actually means). But he was polite so that was comforting. 

The good thing in all these is that I got the modem/Internet problem solved in just a day because the guy is a friend and he helped me out. He bought a new modem, reset everything and handed everything to me in one piece. All I had to do was fix it back at its station and change the password again. But my laptop requires a different expert and so the wait for him to come around and pick it up (you will know very soon why).

The garden is now a mini jungle.
On top of all these madness, I still need to have my hair done, my nails manicured, my body massaged, my friends to meet up with, interview request to be secured ASAP and project proposal meetings to arrange. Oops, I just remembered. I can’t do any of these. Guess what? The car is broken as well. The battery is dead, the air-conditioning isn’t working, and the road tax and insurance is expiring very soon. Tell you what, I think I will sit in my mini jungle and look up at the sky and ask: “Why, God, why did you make me come home?”

I will just continue drinking my coffee amidst this madness.

2 comments:

  1. He made you come home so you can attend to these things, of course!

    Hope you get everything sorted out soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's a good one: WOMEN! There! Sort these out and see how tough u r! :)

    ReplyDelete