March 12, 2011

Bleak Days For Tsunami-hit Japan

IT was going to be another beautiful weekend despite the crazy inconsistent weather bringing too much sun one day and a stormy day the next. And we complain, rain or shine until news hit us on Friday – the tsunami is back, raging in Japan, killing hundreds.

Hearts dropped, tears welled and fears set in – what next? Who is safe? Families, friends, colleagues, pets … they could be anywhere, in the massive wreckage washing through cities and Japan's farmlands.

Is it really TGIF?

Credit: STRAFPGetty Images

From this Saturday onwards, everything is bleak, especially for those in Japan although almost the entire world is actually affected. No country is occupied by just one nation. All nationalities are there – working, studying, visiting.

There are tears the world over. Some may never come home ever again. Some who are alive will suffer such dark bitter days with the memories of the year’s worst horror.

It was ironic that a day before the disaster my girlfriend who came round to my place was telling me about her mum’s and sisters’ plans to visit Japan anytime soon for their nephew’s graduation.

And on Friday she was posting in FB of how relieved she was after getting to connect with him via YM.

“Thank God my nephew in Saitama is safe n sound. Was a bit worried tho' when I couldn't reach him thru his mobile coz I know he's been travelling to other cities in Japan the last few days n what a great relief when I finally did get hold of him on YM...”

Credit: TORU YAMANAKAAFPGetty Images

Her friend also wrote on her FB wall of her cousin’s situation in Tokyo, trapped in her children’s’ school, with her kids and unable to contact the husband. The kids were freezing as they had left their coats in class as they were rushing out for safety.

Another friend expressed her feeling of helplessness as she watched the live footage of the tsunami.

“Helplessness as I listened & watched Taro-san as he calmly tells me how he doesn't know where his in-laws are, unable to comfort his wife who's upset, not sure if he's able to do anything now. All I could say then is my prayers are with him, his family & his country.”

Image: STRAFPGetty Images

Perhaps what another friend wrote on her FB wall would send the message home: “Maybe we should start realising that we are blessed each day of our lives, maybe we should start thanking Him more often for everything that we have, maybe some of us just realised how lucky we are ...but honestly, do we need a catastrophe to wake us up? I don't think so.”

1 comment:

  1. "....but honestly, do we need a catastrophe to wake us up? I don't think so" - I think sometimes the answer is yes. We never value much of what we have until we lose it. Sad but true.

    ReplyDelete