March 7, 2011

No Plastic Policy

THE DAILY BITCH
Today's bitch is brought to you by good friends, stupidity and idiocity.

Ok, my friends know that I'm not really into recycling, and I'm certainly not a tree-hugging conservationist, but I do, repeat, do support initiatives to protect the environment. After all, I'm going to be around at least another 50 years to enjoy it (or be poisioned by it).

Today's rant is a reflection on certain organisations environmental policies, and the oxymoronic and hypocritical approach they take to saving the environment.

Yes, it's true, the current generations are totally destroying the world.

Lush forests are being replaced by high-rises and beautiful fresh water rivers look more like toxic waste ponds.

An initoiative in Malaysia, which is receiving attention is the 'plastic beg free days', a time when shops or other organisations don't give you plastic bags for your purchases, as their contribution to reducing waste.

At first I hated the concept, but then I learnt which days are for what and arranged accordingly. After all, a 1/7 reduction in plastic waste is a great thing. So now I support the initiative.

But it seems to me that people's awareness of the purpose of this is clearly misunderstood.

I went to a government medical provider today for a check-up and to get new medicine, to which they generously provided me almost an entire pharmacy of drugs.
 
Cliparts: Hand And Pills-JOHNNY AUTOMATIC / Medicaments-SPADASSIN / Open Mouth-NICUBUNU / Pointing Hand-THEGEMINI / Medicines-LAURENT / Callout Star-NICUBUNU
http://www.clker.com/ & http://www.openclipart.org/

When the staff passed the meds over, I asked for a plastic bag to put the multitudes of fine chemicals in, only to be told: "Sorry sir, we have a plastic bag free policy here".

Great initiative, but hang on a second, my multitudes of drugs came neatly packaged in tiny little plastic bags, labelled from the provider!

Oxymoron, do or don't?

I support the initiative, but get it right and do it whole hog - it's a bit stupid refusing to give a plastic bag because of policy when you've just handed me over 10 of them.

I do wonder if they see the stupidity?

No comments:

Post a Comment