April 27, 2011

SanTerri Cakes Like No Other


I LOVE cakes but I’m fussy over the choice. Unlike a majority of Malaysians, I do not like my cakes loaded with sugar especially when it’s a creamed cake with an assortment of toppings, which I prefer to finish rather than place aside because they are too sweet to stomach.

If Malaysians are just learning to reduce their intake of sugar in this 21st Century, I have been practising the less-sugar-is-better discipline way, way before the rest.

When the cupcake trend stormed Malaysia, I did not fall head over heals on them because I did not find one recipe that has the correct amount of sugar in both cake mixture as well as the butter icing.

Carrot Cake With Walnuts to go with Café Mezzo Mezzo.
When you enjoy a piece of cake, you want to savour every bite, every mouthful. If you can take continuous bites off a piece of cake without cringing at the sweetness then you have found the desired cake. I have found mine and not just in one type of cake but many. The place – SanTerri Cottage.

The SanTerri Cottage I frequent is the one in Bangsar Village II in Bangsar Baru, Kuala Lumpur although there are several SanTerri Cottage outlets throughout the Klang Valley.

I have not been to most of them as the one in BVII is very convenient for me whenever my craving for tea-time-with-coffee-and-cake builds up.

SanTerri has a big selection of cakes on top of their other items like sandwiches and pastas. But I go there strictly for its cakes. I’ve tried some of them but have to keep returning to make sure I taste most of them as I’m very sure they will agree with my tastebud. My favourite, which I buy for my yearly birthday celebration is the Opera.

Every year it's the same cake for me - Opera from SanTerri Cottage.
I wouldn’t say a slice of cake is too highly priced here as several other cafes and restaurants adopt almost the same pricing if not higher.

The difference between SanTerri’s cakes and prices is that even IF you were to be charged more than the outlet’s RM6.50 for a piece of Carrot Cake With Walnut for example it would still be worth it because the cakes are delicious.

When I eat cakes I take coffee with them and its regular brew, which I called Flat White, is named Café Mezzo Mezzo, also at RM6.50 for a reasonable sized cup. SanTerri serves Illy coffee.

And do you know that Illy coffee is served in 140 countries in five continents in over 50,000 public venues? According to its official website http://www.illy.com/ more than six million cups of its espresso coffee is served throughout the world every single day.

I may not be a coffee expert but I love coffee and what’s in an Illy coffee for me? A rich coffee that’s full of flavour and a beautiful aroma. Team that with a SanTerri cake and it’s bliss for the rest of the day.

SANTERRI COTTAGE
Bangsar Village II
Upper Ground Floor – K2
Lot 43872.73.74 Bangsar Baru
59100 KUALA LUMPUR

No comments:

Post a Comment