April 16, 2011

What Weird Name? I'm Special

I HAD a good chuckle as I read an article on Parenting on Yahoo Lifestyle. The writer commented on weird names parents give their newborn. Celebrities are top on the guilty list, aren’t they? But then, that’s because they are famous. Does anyone care if someone like you or me has weird names?

Some people made comments about  naming her daughter Hero but I think Chef Jamie Oliver must have named his son after having had too much of something. Which sane parent would call his kid Buddy Bear? The poor kid will just have to do what David Bowie’s son, Zowie did – change his name the minute he has the chance to.

David Bowie gave his son the name Zowie but the kid changed his name when he became a man.
Image: HEARTONASTICK (Heartonastick )

But what’s written in the article is really true. Parents aren’t the best person to name their kids. First they get overly emotional about their newborn, than they start thinking too much about making that baby special. And what’s the one way to do that? Through the name. And poor us, the unborn who is oblivious to the outside world can’t tell them what we’d like our names to be, right?

Jamie Oliver named his kid Buddy Bear. Cute but really...
Image: SUZIE KATZ (Suzie Katz's Photostream)

Talking about weird names, they run in my family, all nine of us.

One of us has a name that sounds like a plant cell, the other has a name taken from a television brand, yet another has a name that sounded like a type of sauce and the list goes on. But guess how bad mine is? I have a first, second and third name on top of the strangely simple, short and practical surname. And my names when translated mean Miss Slice Disturb. Now how much more weird can a name be?

SHHHHSHHH!!! Please, please don't let anyone know my full name.
Image: It's A Secret - BIGDODADDY

I live all my schooling years hiding my first and last names because they are so embarrassing. The only reason I use my middle name is because I don’t want to walk the earth as “person with no name”.

I grew up, became wiser and thicker skinned and can now accept my name. In fact, it’s quite cool when I use the name as it was given to me, minus the translations of course.

Talk about weird names. I’ve live with them all my life and I’m not even an attention seeker. 

No comments:

Post a Comment