January 7, 2011

Good company a must in life

SIX hours after a heavy Japanese dinner last night I tried to post about my great evening with friends but my eyes gave in to the comfort of the bed.

Japanese dinner at Asia Cafe.

All I managed was uploading my photos from the camera and sorting them out in the library. As I trudged to bed, I kept hearing Saria’s voice telling me: “Babe, shoot for Facebook babe, shoot for Facebook.”

At that moment everything can just ‘hang’ for me! Sleep sounded a better option. Apologies Sar…

I’m up and about now so I’ll just quickly do the intended post before I head to the grocer to get freshly baked bread for my late (again) breakfast.

Me and my improvised chopstick.

This photo above is of me with an improvised chopstick. The Chef quickly made me one when he saw me frantically trying to dish the yee sang into my mouth using a plastic spoon. I can't use chopsticks so don't laugh! I've tried again and again to learn how but I just don't know how to. By the way, this is the second Chef to make me an improvised chopstick. The first was a Japanese chef in Shangri-La KL when I was at the hotel's Japanese restaurant.

There were supposed to be eight of us for dinner but the figure dwindled to only four. I don’t know what the other three’s excuses were but one said she forgot. FORGOT dinner? That person must be as thin as a stick!

It was CS who invited me for the dinner and I was surprised that a Japanese meal can make me feel so stuffed. I’m not a big fan of Japanese food especially when I read an article about this guy who had to go for surgery after getting severe headaches after eating tons of sushi or something. Then his doctor found some live “creatures” swimming in his brains. Anyway, I don’t know if that was just a stupid joke but it frightened me.

That's CS doing the "My mouth is bigger than yours" act.

My favourite Japanese food (if I can call it that) is the Handroll (wrapped in seaweed). That’s all I like but last night we had Yee Sang (that’s Chinese???), a fish skin dish, sushi and several other delicious, delicious Japanese dishes. I won’t go into the details because one of them is actually doing a food review so I won’t steal his lightning ;). I will see if I can run his review here anytime soon.

FT - Angel of a poser

Besides enjoying the food created by that great chef Nicholas Heng (he used to work in some of the big hotels and trained with some seriously skilled Japanese chefs) I was also basking in my friends’ company. If I am not mistaken in this photo below Sar (left) was trying to shake our friends' with her "I will beat you up" look.

Errr...what's going on guys?

There we were sitting at the round table at Asia CafĂ© surrounded by all the madness and chaos of a food court and I was thinking this is such  different experience altogether. Who would think that right here in a food court we can actually enjoy first class, top notch Japanese meals from a world class chef? That’s simply brilliant, right?

That's Sar busy with her laptop and trying to spell the word 'N-Y-O-N-Y-A'.

While we waited for food to be served, I went around shooting the chef at work and the food served. Sar on the other hand had her head buried in her laptop. “I want to have fun with my friends but I also need to work so this is always the way I am,” she said. "Work" for Sar was actually learning to spell the word 'Nyonya' from FT and me.

"So how do I spell that?" Sar asked.

FT and me went: "N-Y-O-N-Y-A"

Sar said: "N..." Then looked at us blank and repeated, "N...?"

"N-Y-O-N-Y-A"

Don't worry, she did get it after two repeats fom FT and me. Phew!

It’s not an issue with any of us that she was finishing off a story for a deadline at the same time enjoying our company. When you’re the media, you just understand this is our lifestyle.

The one on the right is of course the Sake Drinking Champ!

And what were the other two doing? One was busy enjoying sake and the other shaking his head in disbelief at how much this friend can down in one seating. Way to go people!!!

So here are some of the photos I took on the night. I guess the rest will have to go into FB later today as my tummy is rumbling for breakfast!

3 comments:

  1. You guys look like a nice bunch of friends!

    Can I have a modified chopstick as well, please? I can't for the life of me use chopsticks! I only managed to do it successfully ONCE & that was during my first try. Please, I need an improvised chopstick. Either that or I'll just continue giving an indignant look when ppl go, "What?? You can't use a chopstick???"

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are definitely a bunch of friends but we sure aren't nice, well not the one with the "killer" look and the ones shaking in "fear"!!!

    Instead of learning to use the chopstick, I'll spend some time making you one. Let's see if I would be good at that.

    Thanks for dropping by...

    ReplyDelete