January 28, 2011

Marriages of convenience

I'm not that traditional that I support the old fashioned view of marriage, but I am reasonable enough to appreciate that marriage is an institution and that the values of the institution are commitment, love, and true relationship.

Before you ask, yes I am married, and have been for several years. It may be my second marriage, but just because the first didn't work out doesn't devalue it in any way.

What I'm bitching about today is not genuine marriages, but a growing trend amongst people the world over; marriages of convenience.


Clipart: Chalice and Ring-JOHNNY AUTOMATIC

I have several friends and former friends who fall into this category; getting married in order to stay in a country, or to take advantage of special options available for them.

To me, this disrespects the notion of marriage. It is fraud. Get married for the right reasons, not the convenience of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment