January 24, 2011

Tit Bits Malaysian Style

WHEN I made the decision to buy my condo unit in the Tropicana Utara area about six years ago it was purely based on the condo’s aesthetic value. I did not take into consideration the traffic woes the residents in the area have suffered over the years. It’s too late to make changes now as uprooting would be a bigger problem for me.

However there is one good thing about being in this location. I am surrounded by eateries! That solves a lot of problems for someone like me who doesn’t like spending much time in the kitchen.

When it comes to food I’m a fussy-pot. I never finish my food because I’m a small eater and the average serving for a dish in any eatery is still much too big for me. The other most important reason that attracts return customers is of course the taste factor. And taste is a big thing for me.
 Cheechah and its nice blue white and blue ambience.

For the past four months or so I have been frequenting a reasonably new outlet located in Kota Damansara, which has developed so rapidly as a thriving commercial area. Two of the most prominent businesses in the area are eateries and fashion outlets.

Being just a 10-minute drive from my place makes Kota Damansara a convenient favourite haunt for me. It is easy to find me whenever I’m not where I should be. Cheechah with its clean blue-white facade has even become my place for meet-ups with friends.
 
  Nice interior and furnishings at Cheechah.

The first time I was at Cheechah I ordered its Nasi Impit with Serunding Daging (Meat Floss) and Kuah Kacang (Pressed White Rice served with Peanut Gravy). This dish has become my regular order ever since. On the following visits the Tauhu Bakar (Stuffed Baked Tofu), Tahu Sumbat (Stuffed Tofu) and Chee Chung Fun, which is steamed flat noodles served with red sauce and sesame seeds have been added to the list.
My favourite Nasi Impit served with Serunding Daging and the traditional Kuah Kacang.

You may have noticed that the dishes I mentioned were mostly side dishes. That is because the servings are small and just enough to satiate my appetite during brunch.

My preferred drink to complement these dishes is my all-time favourite Hot Nescafe with milk although Cheechah boasts original, authentic Kemaman coffee brought fresh from Hai Peng Shop in Kemaman.

I am familiar with Kemaman, a district in Malaysia’s East Coast state Terengganu but I do not know where Hai Peng is or how famous it is among those who know of its popularity.
Chee Cheong Fun accompanied with a delicious Mango Smoothie.

Cheechah is based on the concept of a Malaysian lifestyle – enjoying afternoon tit bits with friends over good conversations. This is perhaps one of the reasons for its extensive menu, which features over 120 dishes and drinks altogether.

You get to eat at Cheechah all day as the opening hours stretch from 8am right up to midnight. So if you feel a rumbling in your tummy an hour before midnight you know you can still make it there to enjoy the offerings, which the owners dubbed the “authentic Malaysian Tapas”.

For me, it’s still THE outlet with the good old Malaysian recipes served in little but satisfying portions. One thing though that the people behind Cheechah need to do is maintain the consistency and quality of its dishes. That is still slightlyt lacking but which I’m sure is already seriously looked into by its enterprising owners.
Goreng Pisang served with Chilli Sauce.

As a parting note would Cheechah consider bringing back the authentic Malaysian Goreng Pisang we normally find at Goreng Pisang stalls – crisp and crunchy as well as that traditional Karipap recipe only found in the kampungs?
 
CHEECHAH
No. 2-1 Jalan PJU 5/4
Dataran Sunway
Kota Damansara
Petaling Jaya

Tel: +603 6148 3360
E-mail: host@cheechah.com
Sites: www.cheechah.com / www.facebook.com/cheechah

Biz Hrs: Mon-Sun (8am-midnight)

No comments:

Post a Comment