January 26, 2011

Whose Right of Way?

I always thought I knew the answer to the question, “Who are roads for?” But after living here for five years I have begun to think that all of my life experiences and common sense has been thrown out the window.

I used to think that roads were for cars, but I soon learnt that this may not be the case. So, I ask again, who should the roads be for? Answer - Motorists.

No, I’m not complaining about those pesky little speed-bumps called motorcyclists, or trucks and tractors that slowly went their way through streets far too small for them to drive on. But I am certainly bitching about inconsiderate pedestrians who seem to have a death wish. And those damn mamak stallholders who feel that car-parks are better filled with their tables than with cars. Frustrating!

Let’s start with the pedestrians. There’s this really cool thing called a zebra crossing. You see them in interesting places; places the "powers that be" thought would help us "foot traffic people" to cross safely.

What shocks me, and obviously irritates me, is the number of people walking aimlessly across the road, along the road, with complete disregard for their own safety, and complete lack of respect for drivers who are the legitimate road users.

I get incredibly frustrated with the number of people who simply put out their hand and cross the road as you're driving down it, fully expecting you to stop for them because their crossing the road at the wrong place far exceeds our right as legitimate road users to use the road.

I mean seriously, what is with this "hand" thing anyway? Do you know how hard it is to stop a fast moving heavy metal object at short notice because some idiot doesn't have the foresight to think and wait until the road is clear? Stopping a car at even 40km per hour is not easy; with inconsiderate people darting out in front of you it becomes a minefield.

It is time for road users to claim back the road. Yes people, drivers pay road tax, so we get priority. Sure, walk on the road, but don't think you have more right to it than cars, trucks, motorcycles, and the occasional tractor.

Not far from my office I regularly see hoards of miscreants strolling along the road as if it is a footpath. Oh, by the way, there actually IS a footpath, just the road seems more fun to them.

They seem oblivious to the fact that cars want to drive on it -- hey, it's not as though we can drive on the footpath. But what strikes me as even more irritating, they walk so slowly. It's not Sunday Church people, hurry up the pace and stop causing disruption.

I'm not saying don't use the road, I mean, if you think the tarmac is better for your sports shoes on the road, by all means, but please, have some courtesy. Make way for cars. Don't stroll along as if you don't know the cars are there. You're not chickens in the countryside. Get with the game and start being considerate to others.

I'm sure I've just made a few enemies there, but let me continue and diverge.

Along similar lines, car-parks. Are these for cars? I hate to say I think they are not. Car-parking in Malaysia is a fascinating experience. “Let’s double park and block people for half an hour” seems to be the common theme. Do you accept this? Time is money, and people seem to be very happy to waste other people’s time just so they can park those few inches closer to wherever they are going to.

My pet peeves lately are car-parks and tables. Car-parks are for cars, yet come mid afternoon, crazy little guys start putting out tables every time a car vacates its space. I wouldn’t mind so much if there were lots of spaces, but in most cases it is where there is already limited car-parks.

There’s nothing worse than coming back to your car and finding it surrounded by tables full of people eating, drinking, smoking sheesha and people leaning on your car, not even leaving enough space to open your door. This is just rude.

I love the concept of alfresco dining, eating under the stars (sometimes to the perils of changeable weather), but I don't enjoy sucking up car fumes and the constant threat that a car may accidently (on purpose) back into me and wipe me or my dinner out.

It’s time for some basic courtesy people. Let the roads be used by motorists, and stop putting drivers in dangerous situations from poor actions or lack of consideration.

I know I can't change the world, and I know many of you will think I'm crazy for complaining, but what the heck, I'm entitled to my opinion, and I will leave you with one thought: in many countries overseas, if a pedestrian walks in front of a car and gets knocked down, the pedestrian gets hurt, the driver claims for damage from the pedestrian, and the pedestrian is most likely fined for dangerous behaviour.

Would you survive elsewhere?

1 comment:

  1. I so agree with you! I wish ppl would read this & get some of their common sense back! (wishful thinking, I know)

    I've had experiences where these hot-chic-wannabes STROLL their way across a roundabout with strut & attitude while I practiced patience, when I would have just loved to run them down.

    And talking about shop owners claiming parking lots for more seats to their shops - annoying as hell. Creates a MASSIVE traffic jam too. Come over to Dataran Sunway at 6pm onwards & u'll know what I mean. The thing most annoying is the ones visiting the shop feel it their right to park by the side of the road & creating an even messier traffic jam cause of it.

    Grrrrrrrrrr. Sorry to rant in your slot but this is really a topic I feel strongly about & I wish a magic wand was waved & ppl would change. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete