January 18, 2011

Nightmares for the disabled

I had an experience this morning which really surprised me. Sadly, I can offer no solution, as I'm sure the red tape and bureaucratic decision-making and transacting processes will render such solution useless anyway.

For the very first time ever, I visited Hospital Kuala Lumpur this morning, to take a wheelchair-bound person for a check-up/consultation. Whilst I won't bitch about the doctors or nurses (they were surprisingly helpful and accommodating - I don't believe I am being nice here), my bitch is with the car-parks.

There were no disabled parking bays anywhere near the unit that we were heading to! After 35 minutes of searching, I finally found one, a 10-minute walk from the unit I was heading to.

My gripe is not so much with this, but the only available bay was on rough rock interspersed with muddy pools. Imagine trying to push a wheelchair through that?

Artwork by NewsFlashMedia

Now come on people, a hospital is for the sick. Is the car-park designed to create further injury to drum up business? It certainly seemed that way.

Common sense in providing more accessible bays for patients and caregivers is a very small step that could be taken, not to mention simple common sense, to provide better service for the elderly and disabled.

Ok, I don't want to be a rights activist for the old and the infirm, but be reasonable, have a bit of compassion, and provide better facilities for these people - they need a little help to make their already challenging life a little easier!

1 comment:

  1. Hey TDB...I love this article of yours. What you said is 100% true. It's time for change. The "non"-disabled should start thinking like the disabled. Probably then they will understand how much it means to have a bit of comfort especially where it is deserving. Placing a disabled parking bay in a muddy patch is sure "CONSIDERATE"!

    ReplyDelete